GPS tracking system is a software product that allows end users to control their units (vehicle fleet, machinery, employees, pets, etc.).
Unit tracking includes:
- detecting the unit position and watching its movements on the map;
- observing the dynamic change of various unit parameters such as speed, fuel level, temperature, voltage, etc.;
- management of units (sending commands and messages, assigning jobs and routes, adjusting notifications, etc.) and drivers (phone calls, SMS, work shifts);
- control of the unit movement along a specified route;
- interpreting information derived from the unit in various kinds of reports (tables, charts);
- and much more.
The units can be monitored on the computer screen. The data received during the monitoring can as well be exported to files of different formats
The main interface is the interface where end users monitor their units as well as create and configure various system micro objects for tracking purposes:
These objects do not exist by themselves and always belong to a certain resource and form its part.
The detailed description of the user interface of Wialon can be found in the Monitoring System section.
CMS Manager is a special interface developed for managers of GPS TechTracker monitoring system. CMS stands for Content Management System. Management is carried out with the help of system macro objects, which are:
- accounts (resources),
- billing plans,
- unit groups,
Macro objects are different from micro-objects in the following ways:
- They exist independently and are not a part of a bigger object like the resource.
- They can contain smaller objects, which are deleted together with the macro object they belong to. As mentioned above, a resource can consist of geofences, jobs, notifications, drivers, report templates and orders. A unit can include sensors, commands, custom fields, and service intervals. Users and unit groups can contain only custom fields.
- Access rights are assigned to macro objects, and they affect both the objects themselves and their contents separately. That is why macro object properties dialog usually has a special Access tab to manage rights.
- Some macro objects (such as retranslators, billing plans, and accounts (resources) are accessible only through the interface of CMS Manager.
CMS Manager is designed to work with these objects — create, configure, update, copy, import, export, delete, and distribute access rights to them. The access right is the ability to view some system objects and perform allowed actions on them.
Partly these functions are also available in the user interface. However, the main difference here is that CMS Manager has a handy easy-to-use interface that allows to work with a great number of items, filter them by different criteria, display them in the form of a table, create tabs with search results, and many more. Besides, the exclusive privilege of CMS Manager is the ability to work with accounts (that is to control payment, restrict services and adjust their cost) and retranslators.
There is one type of macro object that is not available in the CMS Manager — route. Routes can be created only in the user interface of GPS Tech Tracker. They store checkpoints and schedules inside and do not depend on any resource. However, access rights to routes can be managed through the user properties dialog.
The detailed description of CMS Manager interface can be found in the Management System section.